Why Start Your Own Business?
I LOVE working in international education. Every day is different, it is challenging and fun. Although my title always related to marketing and recruitment, I often was called to act as an advisor, risk manager, instructor, program manager, problem solver and therapist. The hours are long because students are awake somewhere on the planet, which means phone calls at any hour of the day or night. Once the day ends, there are events and dinners to attend, or flights to catch. I've made friends and visited countries around the world.
So if it's so great, why am I starting my own business?
1. The current economic climate of budget cuts and office restructure. Usually the first person to be laid off is the marketing manager, since their implies they do not support students who are enrolled in the program. But they are the staff who get students to enroll in the program. No students or customers=no programs or services. Adding recruitment to study abroad advisors' already heavy work load is unrealistic and can weaken the brand with several different people using their own methods for recruitment.
2. I am tired of living out of a suitcase and want to stay in one spot so I can rescue more farm animals.
3. In order to become more healthy and mindful, I'd like to have more control over my time.
4. I'm good at making other people look good.
5. I can do my work anywhere on the planet, as long as I have a laptop and an internet connection.
I do not expect to become rich or build a huge business. Just me, working with friends who offer complimentary services like graphic design, programming, etc. helping others tell their stories, promote themselves and their business.